Friday, June 10, 2016

Friday June 10, 2016 Coopera



Souvenir Photo Studio is now re-opened.  Book your session now.
THANK YOU to all the GringoPost readers who voted for me 3 years in a row as Best Photographer in Cuenca!
****
Please see more of my artworks for sale at http://saccc05.tripod.com
****
Welcome…..  Please note that you may SUBSCRIBE to this Blog on the right.  It is obvious that many (all?) of you are not receiving the subscription emails and I have notified Google about the glitches with this (don't hold your breath).  Please keep re-subscribing until we solve the problem.  If anyone has had success in any fashion, please let me know.
****
Comments or purchase requests are graciously accepted at souvenirphotostudio@gmail.com.
****

Friday June 10, 2016
Today was completely dominated by two Coopera events today, on the 3rd Anniversary of the illegal liquidation that has harmed so many innocent people.
The first was a 9am demonstration by Dr Quito's group at the Glorieta in Parque Calderon.  I was actually quite surprised that this was happening because I was certain that I had read somewhere that downtown demonstrations/marches were banned..
Anyway, I am there at 9am and the only other folks in evidence are 4 reporters/photographers from El Mercurio.  I got a call from Marco to buy and El Mercurio because there were big articles about Coopera today and the liquidator is now promising a payout on June 27 of $1,600,000 to be split amongst 533 parties, but not in equal shares, so the guess is that our "level" might get around $1,500 like last time.  
Things didn't get rolling for quite a while and two other gringas did join me, Trish and Denise.  It was great to see them, but also disappointing because of the call to all the affected gringos to show up.  Rob's Ecuadorian wife and stepdaughter also came.  So, like so many times before, it was the Dr Quito show and he got all the interviews although I did get one reporter to interview Trish.  We need a few real-people stories to be told too.
During my boredom I got to enjoy taking a few shots of the park and the cathedral on a lovely morning (after the rain clouds had left the scene).
I came back home and Cristina dragged me to Feria Libre to exchange an item and to have lunch.  Then she dragged me to a boot store to shop.  I could barely walk when we finally got home.   I worked on the photos until it was time to run to the Valgus Hotel for the next Coopera event.  
This was more of a showcase for Assembleista Andres Paez who will probably run for President next year.  He is totally anti-Correa (the existing President) and is successful at getting under Correa's skin.  Correa even challenged him to a fistfight in public.  I am not a fan of the normally blowhard politicians but I must admit that I did like this man.  Andres seemed informed, calm, practical, and able to think on his feet.  I would vote for him when the time comes.
I was definitely expecting more gringos to attend the evening session but that didn't happen.  Like many times over the last 3 years, I was the only gringo white face in attendance
I hope you enjoy the photos.  That was the day's excitement,   Cheers, Al 
© All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission.
NOTE that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.

x
At 9am, these guys were my only company

Rob's lovely wife and step-daughter

About 9:30 the banners are going up

We're joined by a protest from Chordeleg against new taxes

Dr Quito being interviewed by El Mercurio

Gustavo was busy for an hour doing interviews

Trish, some guy, and Denise

Not too many people showed up, disappointing

Trying to let people know that we won't quit

I got this fellow to interview Trish

Trish speaks good enough Spanish to do this

Trying to get the message to the man in the street

A gorgeous day in El Centro

A flutterby joined us

Butterflies are free

Immaculate Conception cathedral

Parque Calderon fountain

Lovely blue sky morning

Kids and water...

Another angle on the cathedral

From across the park

A visit to the Justice building

This is where the next meeting was held

A decent crowd, and I am the only white face

Waiting for the guest to show up

Andres Paez is standing in the center

He had 4 yes-persons to agree with everything

Actually, I liked the guy.  Hope he is the next President!

Easy on the stage, good jokes

He could talk off-the-cuff real easy

Graciela gave an impassioned speech