Thursday, May 1, 2014

Thursday May 1, 2014 May Day

Welcome…..  Please note that you may SUBSCRIBE below to this Blog.
Comments or purchase requests are graciously accepted at souvenirphotostudio@gmail.com.

MY NEW PORTRAIT STUDIO IS NOW OPEN !!!!  Book your session now.
See details and more of my artworks for sale at http://saccc05.tripod.com/.

All my work is COPYRIGHT protected and may not be used in any way without purchase, or without my permission.


Thursday May 1, 2014
There was a late night message for a Coopera gathering at the Glorieta gazebo in Parque Calderon for 9am, and to be on time for some interviews.   Typically I am on time, the only Gringo to show up, and the Ecuadorians show up in dribs and drabs over the next hour.
However many police vans began disgourging copious numbers of gendarmes in yellow vests and, at first, I thought they were there to control our massive crowd of 6 protesters, at the time....   Then I saw many more lined up along Simon Bolivar and it dawned on us that it is May 1, a workers' holiday, so there would be the obligatory parade happening.   However to call this a parade would be a joke.  Snails move faster than this collection of workers.   I decided that they were all government workers... there was no other explanation...
Dr Gustavo Quito held court with the reporters for a long time, interrupting a conversation I was having with a reporter from the main newspaper, El Mercurio.  At that point I tried to go to the leather store that is making my new boots but they were closed.   So I went around Santo Domingo, had lunch and picked up DVD's for 4 seasons of Entourage.   That will keep me out of mischief for a while.
I also had been trying to find an adequate sized frame for my "Best Photographer" award from GringoPost.   I found a frame in one store for $16.00 and passed on it, then found the same frame at another store for $6.50, so I bought it.  That is my next project.

NOTE that you may click on any photo for an ENLARGED VIEW.
Hope you enjoy the photos.  That was the day's excitement,   Cheers, Al  
I thought these police were deploying against us

I don't think there were 6 of us there yet...

They busied themselves putting up large posters

More and more police showed up by the Governor's office

Then they deployed on both sides, without firearms

Gosh it was such a beautiful morning

I had to experiment with an HDR rendering...

Our group kept putting up posters and signs

and even more to get the message across

The lawyer Dr Quito finally shows up himself

The lady in purple is alone.  Her husband is in hospital with heart failure.

This juggler was listening to her tunes

She was oblivious to us all

just practicing I guess.

Finally got morning light on the statue of Abdon Calderon

Immaculate Conception

Dr Quito on the right doing interviews

Kids and water...

Splashing is so much fun

Dr Quito has a crowd hanging on every word

The May Day parade coming up Bolivar

I saw 3 snails zip past them

Talk about s..l..o..w..

The police outnumber the spectators

Long live the Ecuadorian worker - who can argue with that?

Must be Government workers...  slow as molasses in January

The music was the only good thing about this parade

More crawling workers to come, I got bored and left

The statue above Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo and the pigeons

Love the colours on these guys

Lovely side altar

Their version of the Shroud Of Turin

The main altar is very impressive

Love this painting in the entryway

This statue is in the entryway too

Tourist umbrellas against the sun

Parque Calderon and Immaculate Conception